What is Legal Advocacy?
Legal Advocacy is a program in which skilled advocates assist victims of crime navigate the legal system. We specialize in:
- Accompanying victims to police departments, hospitals, and court proceedings
- Advocating for victims’ rights/needs, making sure the victim’s voice is heard
- Assisting with filing for Orders of Protection
- Helping victims prepare Victim impact Statements
- Providing referrals to other resources that victims may need
- Facilitating the Broome County DWI Victim Impact Panel & Domestic Violence Education Panel
Victim Notification Services
VINE: Provides notifications regarding the custody status of incarcerated individuals. Can sign up for texts, phone calls, emails, or in app alerts. Go to VINELink.com to sign up for alerts.
OVA: Provides notifications of when an incarcerated individual is scheduled for an interview with the parole board, of the parole board decisions, when they are to be released, and which parole officer is assigned. Must complete the Office of Victim Assistance request form on the NYS DOCCS website.
NY-Alert: Provides notification of when an Order of Protection is served. Must sign up at https://oopalert.ny.gov/ and include the Order number or Docket number